This page is no longer current and is provided for archival and research purposes.
Ontario’s official mobile application for businesses to scan COVID-19 vaccine certificates.
The Verify Ontario app ended June 24, 2022.
The app is no longer available in the Google Play and Apple app stores. If you still have a downloaded version of the app, it will not scan QR codes and is no longer supported with updates.
Who the app is for
Ontario no longer requires businesses and organizations to check for proof of vaccination effective March 1, 2022.
Verify Ontario is an app for businesses and organizations that provides a quick, easy and secure way to scan COVID-19 proof of vaccination.
Businesses and organizations may voluntarily choose to check for proof of vaccination and may use the Verify Ontario app to scan for proof of vaccination.
The app is not for storing or downloading your proof of vaccination. To download your vaccine certificate with QR code, please visit ontario.ca/getproof.
You must use:
- a phone model that is from 2014 or newer
- Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch running iOS 11 or newer operating systems
- Android devices, such as phones or tablets running Android 6 or newer operating systems
- requires camera access to work
- updates automatically when the device is connected to the internet
- can be used without an internet connection to scan most government-issued QR codes, but you must connect to the internet every week for the latest content and rules
- takes a few seconds to read QR codes on older devices with older processors or cameras
How it works
- accesses a device's camera with permission to scan vaccine certificates with government-issued QR codes
- quickly scans a visitor's QR code, which can be a physical copy they've printed or a digital copy on their mobile device
- displays a result page verifying a person's COVID-19 vaccine certificate with QR code
- protects privacy by only collecting anonymous data for metrics and does not save or track personal information
Accepted forms of proof of vaccination
The Verify Ontario app will scan and verify:
- Ontario-issued Smart® Health Card QR codes on vaccine certificates, including those provided to individuals with eligible medical exemptions or who are participating in a Health Canada approved clinical trial
- Smart® Health Card QR codes issued by another Canadian province, territory or health authority including:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland & Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- Canadian Armed Forces
- Global Affairs Canada
- Other Smart® Health Card issuers part of the Common Trust Network:
- Cayman Islands Health Services Authority
- Connecticut Department of Public Health
- Delaware Immunization Program
- Government of Puerto Rico
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- State of California
- State of Colorado
- State of Hawaii
- State of Louisiana
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- State of Utah
- Sydney Local Health District
- Virginia Department of Health
- Washington State Department of Health
More health authorities will be added to the app as soon as possible.
The app will not verify
- QR codes created using a non-government website or app
- QR codes issued by health or government institutions that do not follow the Smart® Health Card QR code standards
The app displays a yellow warning results screen if the QR code:
- does not meet Smart® Health Card QR code standards
- Is a valid Smart® Health Card QR code, but is not yet recognized by the app
- is issued to a child under the age of 12, or who turned 12 within the last 12 weeks (84 days)
Visitors can go to:
Data collection and privacy
For privacy and security:
- verified vaccine certificate results are displayed for 30 seconds and then deleted
- only trusted Smart® Health Card QR codes will scan as verified and display a green check mark screen
- the app does not request the user's location or save any information that links specific locations, visitors or businesses to each other
- no personal health information is displayed or shared, only the information that is required for QR code verification (result with name and date of birth to confirm an individual's ID)
- the app only collects anonymous statistical data (analytics) that help us improve the app, including the total number of scans and the number of valid, invalid, or warning results
- for transparency and security we will share the app's code in GitHub and have adopted a vulnerability disclosure policy
Give us feedback
We want to learn about your experience.
Businesses, organizations and individuals can contact us through our page's webform (anonymous).